BabyCenter selects products based on the research of our editors and the wisdom of parents in the BabyCenter Community. All prices and details are accurate at the time of publication. We may earn a commission from shopping links.
Target offers 15 percent off of items on your baby registry, which can be pretty huge if you’re using it on big ticket items like car seats and nursery furniture. The offer is known as a completion discount, with the idea being that parents can use it to “complete” their registry and order anything that hasn’t already been purchased for them by friends and family.
Honestly, even if you aren’t sharing your baby registry publicly, it’s worth it to create a registry with Target just for the completion discount! Here’s what you need to know about the details and limitations:
- You can use your completion discount starting eight weeks before the expected arrival date you entered when you signed up for your Target registryOpens a new window.
- You can use your 15 percent off coupon on two orders, and they can be in person or online. They’ll also be the next orders you make off of your registry after your completion discount becomes active, unless you take steps to pause your completion discount. Make these orders count by ensuring they include every eligible item that you know you want to buy.
- Your completion discount will be valid until six months after your due date. Your coupon should also clearly state its expiration date.
- There is a pretty long list of excluded items (more on that below), so you’ll want to plan accordingly.
Step-by-step instructions for how to redeem your Target completion discount
- Before using your coupon, double check that you’ve added everything to your registry that you want to buy with a discount. (Note that you can continue to add items to your registry even after you get your discount coupon.)
- Log in to your Target baby registry home pageOpens a new window, and navigate to the “Offers & benefits” section.
- Once you’re no more than eight weeks before your due date, you’ll see two 15 percent off coupons that you can use online or in the store. You can also get your coupons via email, as Target sends them to the account associated with your baby registry when you become eligible for your completion discount.
- To redeem the coupon in a store, show the barcode to the cashier when you’re checking out. It can be on your phone or a printed-out copy. (And remember: Only eligible items that you’ve already put on your baby registry before checking out will be discounted.)
- To redeem the online discount, sign in to your Target accountOpens a new window and follow these instructions:
- Visit the Registry page and select your registry.
- Add unpurchased items to your cart directly from your registry. (Target advises that you’ll know this was done correctly when you see a small red gift box with your registry name next to the products in your cart.)
- Under “Promo codes” in your cart, select “Enter a code.”
- Enter your unique promo code and hit “Apply.”
- Your discount will appear in the “Order summary” box.
Parents in our community say that step 5 in the instructions above can be particularly tricky. (A lot of parents have issues with this, so make sure you do it correctly! We’ve also seen issues with applying the discount when shopping from the Target app, so we recommend doing it from your computer to be safe.)
And as mentioned above, there is a lengthy list of excluded items. So check it carefully before you start adding things to your registry or cart.
Brands in the pregnancy and baby space that are ineligible for your completion discount
- Fisher Price Laugh n Learn
- Hatch Maternity
- Hudson Baby
- Infant Optics
- Monica and Andy
To save even more, you can combine your registry discount with Target Circle offers or your Red Card discount, and you can also use up to 10 gift cards to pay for your order.
Lots of parents-to-be sign up for multiple baby registries because they want to take advantage of the completion discounts at different retailers. If you end up doing this, remember that Registry Builder is a great place to manage everything in one place!
Advertisement | page continues below